Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?

To: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 21:47:20 -0700
At 09:28 PM 3/11/96 -0600, Ross wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am a little confused on where to top off the fluid in my gearbox and what
>type of oil to put in it.  According to my Haynes manual it says to use
>20w/50 motor oil (the same thing I put in my engine) but I wanted to confirm
>that.

Of course it is true. The Haynes manual is my official "bible" for MG
maintenance. The reason 20-50 motor oil is needed is to lubricate several
small needle bearings used in the transmission.

> The manual also says that on earlier gearboxes (mine is a 66 MGB
>non-overdrive) you have to lift the carpet to fill the gearbox?????

This is also true, but its not as bad as it sounds. Behind the console (on
my 71 its behind the radio but the 66 dash is configured a little different
- still, maybe 12" or so forward of the stick shift...), under the carpet is
a hole some 2" in diameter. The carpet snaps together at this point so the
carpet only has to be moved a few inches. There should be a rubber plug
sealing the hole. Remove the plug, stick your fingers in, and you should
find the transmission dipstick.

Pull out the dipstick to check your oil level and add oil through that same
hole the dipstick came out of. You will require an oil can with a nice
flexible hose for this.

I believe the oil capacity is a little over three quarts. There was a time
that my primary oil leak was from the transmission so I had to carry this
operation out at least weekly. Now that my transmission only drips small
quantities of oil, the rear engine seal has now taken the lead in oil loss.