Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?

To: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 08:01:34 -0500
Loki asks:

>The manual also says that on earlier gearboxes (mine is a 66 MGB
>non-overdrive) you have to lift the carpet to fill the gearbox?????

Loki (are you a Norse god?):

I would add that you should use a "goose neck" funnel to put oil into the
box.  Once you lift away the carpet on the passenger side of the tranny
tunnel, and see the 2 inch access hole in the tranny tunnel (which may be
sealed with a rubber "stopper"), you will see the little dip-stick in the
box itself, with its finger grip circular handle.  Remove the dipstick and
check the oil level (i.e. are you sure its tranny oil and not blow-back from
the engine that has leaked?), with the car level.  Once you have determined
that the tranny oil level deffinately is low, I recommend using the
aforementioned goose neck funnel.  From personal experience it is difficult
to pour oil from its original container directly into the dipstick hole with
100% accuracy, all the time maintaining the body position of a circus
contortionist.  One doesn't want oil on one's carpet, does one?

Will Zehring  (who won't bring up the tranny oil debate...   ooooops!)