Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?

To: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>, mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil type? and where to fill?
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:06:08 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Ross A. Goldberg wrote:

> I am a little confused on where to top off the fluid in my gearbox and what
> type of oil to put in it.  According to my Haynes manual it says to use
> 20w/50 motor oil (the same thing I put in my engine) but I wanted to confirm
> that.  The manual also says that on earlier gearboxes (mine is a 66 MGB
> non-overdrive) you have to lift the carpet to fill the gearbox?????

There will be a hole behind the speaker on the right hand side. This
hole provide access to the gearbox dipstick. You may need quite a bit
of force to get the dipstick out if it hasn't been removed in a while.
You can use the same hole for filling up the gearbox using a suction
gun (a big syringe). I use straight 30W oil for this.

> Please help me figure this one out... I have a dripping gearbox I am sure is
> thirsty for some fresh oil (it was rebuilt less than 5k ago!!!)

Check where the leak is. If it's the rear seal it's easy to fix.

Dirk