re: double clutching

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: double clutching
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:49:29 -0500
Jay:

You've nearly got it right.  The final trick is, instead of just 'blipping'
the gas, you give the car enough rpm to match the upcoming gear, THEN shift.
 With practise, this can be a matter of 'blipping', but that takes some time.

The reason one usually does this is twofold: either one has a transmission
without synchros, and must bring the engine speed into line with the upcoming
gear, or one is racing, and wants a smooth transition to a lower gear for
turns or short hillclimbs.  The reason for the first declutch is, so I
understand it, to reduce the speed of the transmission itself.  I've done
this with full-synchro cars and, except in the case of the downshift, it
seems superfluous. I have found it useful for freeway off-ramps, though, and
if done properly, it can be quite exciting.  Luck.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'