Re: Fuel pump / line...?

To: SimJaysun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pump / line...?
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:27:01 -0900 (PDT)
On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 SimJaysun@aol.com wrote:

> I knew when I started this that it was going to be a hellion to
> describe...Let me try to be a bit more accurate, and less confusing.  (try,
> that is :-)  )
>
> Here's the scenario:

Lots deleted.

The first thing to do is to establish whether it is an ignition or
fuel problem. If the engine kind of fades out when it dies it is
probably fuel, if it dies instantaneously, it's probably ignition.
I would check whether the fuel pump delivers a steady flow to the
carbs (disconnect the fuel line upstream of the carbs and let it pump
into a clean bottle). Do you have a fuel filter anywhere? If so,
replace it, if not, you should have one. If fuel does get to the carbs
check whether they work properly (you may have a sticky needle valve
or the jets may be gummed up or the pistone may be sticky).
As far as the ignition goes, is it a points-type distributor or a
electronic one? Either way, make shure it's in top condition.

I'm putting my money on a fuel problem but if you have an electronic
ignition all bets are off.

Dirk