Re: particles in the oil cooler

To: The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: particles in the oil cooler
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 20:25:50 -0700
>My 68 MGB has a leaky oil cooler, so I picked up another out of a parted out B
>at a show.  When I put oil in the new cooler (out of the car) and it runs
>through, it comes out with small black particles in it.  I checked the leaky
>one but it has no particles.  I have flushed the new one with a garden hose and
>-with several quarts of oil.  The particles are still coming out.  Needless to
>say, I am afraid of putting this in my car for fear of damaging the engine.
>Anyone know what I can use to flush this clean?

Greetings Benjy,

I'd try varsol.  It will disolve the oil and sludge and is thin enough to
get into all the nooks and cranies.  If you can, try to find a friend or a
shop with a parts cleaning station.  We have one in our shop with a good
pump and a flex hose that can be set to flush varsol through any part.  Run
a good solid stream of clean varsol through your cleaner for a while and
then inspect again for metal parts.  Another way to go might be to have a
radiator shop boil and flush it out. But I'd still run some varsol through
it to get the radiator flush out before I put engine oil in it.

If you can't get it to stop dumping bits of motor killer after a good flush
or two then I'd recommend you reclassify it as a desk ornament / paper
weight and live with the leaky cooler for now.

Cheers and good luck,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        1947 MG-TC 3528