Re: the top's on blues

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: the top's on blues
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 11:36:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 19 May 1996, David Councill wrote:

> one MG. So now I crave another MG, something in the sixties vintage, perhaps
> a C.
>
> However, my wife, who does not fully understand the MG experience, has this
> belief that when a man gets older, he wants to buy a slick convertible to
> impress and hustle young women. Its part of this midlife crisis belief. So
> now that I am thinking C, she thinks I have ulterior motives. Now you see my
> dilemma.

Your wife is right about one thing.  It is correct that midlife does
reawaken in many men a desire to impress and hustle young women.  It is
ironic that this desire arises in a man at an age when the probability
that young women will be impressed by him has never been lower.  I have
concluded that middle age is a cruel time in a man's life, when the parts
of his body he wishes would remain limber begin to stiffen up, and vice
versa.

You should start by asking your wife if she, even when young and foolish,
would have been attracted to a middle-aged person like yourself just
because he drives an MGC.  She will likely see just how silly an idea this
is.  Then, point out to her how owning two MGs will keep you in your
garage, and off the streets, far from any young women.

Although I'd advise her to give in gracefully to your desire for yet
another MG, I would recommend she be alert to any subsequent hints that
you would like a Harley Davidson and a couple of discrete tattoos.  There
are some warning signs of a spouse about to go south that no one should
ignore.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910