shipping a body shell

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: shipping a body shell
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 15:48:05 EDT
I have been trying to come up with an economical way to ship an MG body shell
(rolls w/ wheels, but no drive train, stripped) from San Diego, California, to
my home in eastern Pennsylvania. By economical I mean a lot cheaper than the
estimates I've received so far. This shell would probably be very light, maybe
less than 1000 lbs.

Tried several car transportation companies, but the lowest quote so far has been
$975. I had hoped that by offering to pick up the car at some central depot,
such as a truck/freight terminal I could save some money, but all of the
services I quoted so far offered door-to-door service only, and seemed to be
geared toward the relocation market primarily.  I was really hoping to be able
to do this for less than $500, but I've been told by a local LBC car business
guy that it cant be done for less than a $1000. Anybody have any ideas, places
to try? I've thought a one-way plane ticket, then renting something to tow it
back, but anyone I called wanted to rent me a large truck and tow dolly at over
$1000, nobody seems to rent pickup trucks.

Dave "running out of ideas" Culgan
culgandm@gg.dupont.com
(oh...ok...its an MG1100 shell in case you wondered)