Re[2]: b*tch and moan: safety inspections

To: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick), gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu,
Subject: Re[2]: b*tch and moan: safety inspections
From: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 10:03:43 PST
Here's something even more ridiculous.  When I moved to California, I owned an
Acura.  It wasn't until after I arrived that I discovered the state levies a
$300 Environmental Impact fee for any car brought in that wasn't originally
designated a California emissions vehicle.  I called Acura and was told that
the
only difference between my Federal Acura and a California Acura was a $60 (I
think) engine control chip.  I asked if I could have the chip installed and
avoid the fee.  The answer: No. In fact, even if the car passed the
California
Smog test in its present state, which I was assured it would, I'd still have to
pay the fee.  Needless to say, I sold the Acura.  (Let the new owner pay the
$300.)  And I had it easy compared to a friend who owns a "gray market" Porshe
and went through hell when he moved here.

Joseph
More money in my pocket, less in the bureaucrats'.