Re: b*tch and moan: safety inspections

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: b*tch and moan: safety inspections
From: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:49:55
Ray Gibbons wrote:

>Thought the Californians and New Jersyites would be interested in
>VT's new plans for emission inspection.  Starting next year, if
>your car came with a catalytic converter, the inspection will
>examine whether it is still there.  Year after that, the station
>will test your gas cap with an expensive gas cap tester, to see if
>it allows gasoline vapors to escape. Year after that, cars built
>after 95 will have their computer systems looked at some how.  I'm
 not clear how.

>The interesting thing about all this is that there is no
>requirement that any of this stuff work.  If your catalytic
>converter or gas cap is missing you will have to replace it.  But
if they are there and malfunctioning, you don't have to fix them.

>As the editorial in the newspaper points out this morning, this is
>the worst of all choices:  the cost of inspections will be
>greater, and there is no realistic possibility that the greater
>cost will result in cleaner air.
>
>Your tax dollars at work.

Ray, Old Chap...I'm afraid you have completely missed the point of
emmision(s) inspections:>)

The purpose of these inspections is not to promote, provide or even
encourage cleaner air. The sole purpose is to provide the
bureaucrats with increased revenue to spend, pocket or pad their
retirement!

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Camarillo, California