Re: b*tch and moan: safety inspections

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: b*tch and moan: safety inspections
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:49:20 -0700
Ray:

I have a different "reading" of you comments on inspection:

>Thought the Californians and New Jerseyites would be interested in VT's new
>plans for emission inspection.  Starting next year, if your car came with
>a catalytic converter, the inspection will examine whether it is still
>there.  Year after that, the station will test your gas cap with an
>expensive gas cap tester, to see if it allows gasoline vapors to escape.
>Year after that, cars built after 95 will have their computer systems
>looked at some how.  I'm not clear how.
>
>The interesting thing about all this is that there is no requirement that
>any of this stuff work.  If your catalytic converter or gas cap is
>missing you will have to replace it.  But if they are there and
>malfunctioning, you don't have to fix them.

I agree with government's approach, I think you just missed the point---Its
just all very Zen. One has only to imagine that these parts work.

"Ah Grasshopper, have you not followed any of the lessons, we have taught
you?" Does not the great god, Lucas, smile on the fan motor on a cold night?
Does he also not give his blessings to the coil on a long trip? The head
lamp switch on a dark night? How could you not see the connection! The
failure can only be ours for not showing you the path to enlightenment.

Stephen Patchel
Consulting Practice Leader
Radford Associates
voice: 408-321-2540