Re: Oil pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 08:27:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Gregg, if your gauge shows 40 to 50 psi at idle with the motor HOT, you
> are correct in not trusting your gauge. It should be about 10 to 20 psi :)
> Ulix (12psi hot)
>                      __/__,__         ________/____,,_______
> ................... (_o____o_) ..... (___ O _________ O ___/ ..............
>                     '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy

I would have to disagree with Ulix on this - at least on the oil pressure
of 10-12. I would be alarmed with that kind of pressure. I prefer a
minimum of 40 psi at idle with 60-70 psi running. (this experience has
been with 3 different MGs).

My 65B was on the verge of rod bearing failure when it idled at 10 psi.
After I overhauled the engine, I came to the belief that if the idle oil
pressure dropped below 40 psi, it was time to change the oil.

On the other hand, I have always been somewhat wary of Smith gauges.
I have never seen a Smith fuel gauge make it to "empty" (when the
ignition is on) - in fact I have run out of gas a few times when I got to
about 1/8 tank on the gauge.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
71 BGT