Re: Rust prevention (WD-40)

To: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: Rust prevention (WD-40)
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 00:11:23 -0500 (EST)
>   There is nothing like doing some body work to stimulate the imagination to
>think of ways to not have to do it again.
>   I have noticed first hand, and had it confirmed by others that MG's don't
>rust in spots where oil has leaked on it.  Another member of this list
reported
>spraying down his engine bay with WD40.  Yet another reported that rubbing oil
>into surface rust is very effective at previenting further rust. I have put
this
>into practice on my truck by oiling the truck bed beneath the bedliner (will
>report back on how effective this is).
>    My question is this:  How effective would WD40 be if sprayed into various
>nooks & crannies, avoiding rubber parts?  For example I could imagine
drilling a
>small hole in the inner sills of my Midget and spraying WD40 in there once a
>year, or spraying some on the undercoating under the car, and on the inside of
>the fenders, cowls, inside the trunk, floors beneath carpeting etc.  Would
this
>be a fire hazzard?  Has anyone tried this?
>
>Tom Wannenburg
>74 Midget

Just a word of caution, WD-40 is VERY flammable! It says so on the can, but
I didn't notice untill recently after years of use. Many the time I've been
under the car with WD-40 dripping down and the hot drop light next to my head.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB