Re: Seat Belt Installation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Belt Installation
From: erasjfr@lmera.ericsson.se (Steve Foster ZD/KC)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 16:37:04 +0200
I installed seat belts in my MGA last year.
Now I can take our kiddy out without my wife going spare.

I have an auto manual that details in 2 or 3 pictures the exact position of the
belts for Roadster and Coupe. I'm not sure if the Haynes manual has such
pictures?

The lower mounts are on the tunnel and the chassis rail.
The upper mount on the roadster goes through the toneau panel and really
requires welding (paint
ruining) for strength. I opted for the coupe version in my roadster. This is
through the rear
wheel arch.  The belts are low by modern standards. It helps if you are short!
I'm 6' 2" and
I manage.
You need to weld seat belt captive nuts to a plate. Make a cut out in the
chassis and weld the plate
back in. The tunnel is easier since you can get on the other side. Still weld
the a plate behind
the nut for strength. The rear arch option should also have a plate for load
distribution.

Hood up and down is a problem since you have to unthread the belt. The original
belts (Bob West in the
UK sells them over here) have a naff split pin arrangement.  They are original
grey colour and have
chrome buckles with BMC badges.

I went my own way with two wing nuts
attaching the belts directly to the upper mounting. I can have the hood up or
down in 30seconds more
time with the belts back on.

If you have a fax I can the diagrams to you.
Hope this helps.
/Steve MGA (test driving a Caterham 7 soon) Sweden.