The relative importance of Starters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The relative importance of Starters
From: Barry Archer <barry@whithog.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 00:01:51 CDT

  Regarding my rubber-bumper-with-attitude '78 MGB:

  I'm now having to whack it's starter with a hammer on a weekly basis
when it refuses to budge.  So I guess it's close to time for replacing.
Are there particular issues with new vs rebuilt.  Moss Motors appears to
only have rebuilt, while Vicky B. down I-435 a few miles from me, I
think, has new ( after market? ).  And is it something that I could
easily mess up doing myself, the first-time MG owner who just jacked up a
car ( Maggie ) for the first time last week.  It looks like removing the
connectors, removing the two bolts and pulling out the starter...or
should I save up for my trusty, but more expensive, mechanics.

  I also have a couple of, to me, two odd observations:

    The OD kicked in today after about 5 minutes on I-435.  No noticable
diff in anything from when it ignores the switch.

    My idle jumped from around 1000 RPM to around 1500 RPM for most the
drive too and from work.  This has happened occasionally, but each
time it returns to normal idling range within a day.  It was a
particularily hot/humid day around KC today.  My temp gauge stayed lower
than usual during the higher idle.  Baffles me, but I'm easily baffled.

  The two appear unrelated - that is their occurances don't
usually coincide.

       Barry "Love is bumper blind" Archer
       '78 vermillion red MGB