RE: Nice '66 Midget for sale in PA

To: mgs-owner <mgs-owner@autox.team.net>, "Glen R. Wilson" <railroad@itw.com>,
Subject: RE: Nice '66 Midget for sale in PA
From: "Mullins, Robert" <mullinsr@hq.hhmi.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 15:02:00 EDT
On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Glen R. Wilson wrote:

> Having just gotten everything about the way I like it on this car, I
> find I have to sell it to raise tuition money for Grad School.

Randy's advice to Glen:

"Do anything to keep the car. BTW if your not married yet, just plan that
you
may never have the time or money to do a MG this nice again, not because
of your wife, but it just seems that other things take priority later.
Again very pretty car."

And Kevin said, among other things,

"Live in a shit hole.  Eat ramen noodles, beans, and rice for a couple of
years.
Hey, it's grad school. "

To which I can only add my complete agreement, the world is full of people
who regret they
didn't keep that old car...DON"T BE ONE OF THEM!....My God, man!  You've got
one
that isn't a piece of shit!  I sold my beat up 'Healey 3000 in 1980 for
$100........
after 13 years it had rusted through the
floor pans, causing my carpeting to smolder when it finally fell through to
the muffler.
After waiting 15 years, now I'm considering another Healey, TR-6, or an
XK-120, and
am faced with so many conflicting priorities it isn't funny......"gee,
honey, the kitchen (porch,
dining room, bedroom, den, etc etc) needs to be re-done,  How can you even
think of
spending that much money on a car you don't need when all these other things
have to be done?"
But having had sports cars for the majority of my adult life, I feel
incomplete
without one.....put a price on THAT!

A friend of mine moved to North Carolina recently where he and his wife
built a new house.
He was strapped for resources to complete the house but absolutely refused
to sell his
sailboat (a 28' E-Scow, kinda like a surfboard with a sail on it....helluva
racing boat)
knowing damn good and well that he'd not soon find the money to replace
it......

It's a lot easier--and probably cheaper--to keep it (whatever "it" is) than
replace it later....

just my $.02 worth

Bob  Mullins,
'61 AH 3000, '53 XK-120 (soon)

Just a thought, is grad school really going to do that much for you?   ;-)