Re: Wheels

To: daneli@umich.edu
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:11:00 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-15 19:23:40 EDT, daneli@umich.edu (Daniel Greenberg)
writes:

<<  I can certainly understand the appeal of getting rid of the wire wheels,
but I am confused about what has been said previously.

 ..... On an MGB, ..... I would think that an adapter would not make much
economic sense in comparison to swapping parts.

 Does the MGA rear axle setup differ much from the B in this regard? >>

Perhaps the MGA requires just a bit more.  On the MGA, up front you also have
to change the swivel pin (similar to king pin), having a different offset due
to the extended length of the splined hub.  The early MGB banjo style rear
axel is interchangeable with the MGA rear axel, the only significant
difference being the splines on the inner ends of the halfshafts and the
differential gears, those being those being the same as the MGA MK-II.

I think you're almost there, searching for the reason for the adapter.  There
are those who like wire wheels, or at least like the knock off feature, but
would otherwise like to use bolt on wheels for the wider selection available.
 The adapter would make it easy to switch at will from wires to bolt-ons, so
you could use wires for the street and show, and aluminum bolt-ons for
autocross (one of my favorite subjects).  The key here is in the ease of
switching back whenever you want to.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA