Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheels
From: FunE4MG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:09:15 -0400
Okay,  I started the thread so let me tell you what I learned in 2 afternoons
of calling all over the place and tracking down information on center lug
(knockoff) style wheels.
First- the bad news... depending on your POV.
      You can have wires, heavy duty wires, or the mini-lite replicas.  No
one else makes anything even remotely close to them.  I called several wheel
manufacturers who told me one or more of 3 basic tales, 1- no market, 2-
liability problems, 3- cost of tooling up even if there was a great demand.

Second- more bad news I'm afraid...
      Current race cars using center spline axles/hubs/wheels have their
wheels made for that purpose..RACING, The BBS rep I talked to says that the
high magnesium content and fragile nature of the wheels would preclude their
use from street applications, Waivers etc. are signed by the racing teams(I
haven't checked to see if this is actually true) so that they can use the
wheels.  All parties I contacted recommended AGAINST usin some adapter that
would utilize the spline drive and allow you to bolt a hot looking alloy
wheel in place.
Finally- the Good news.
      Mini-lite knockoffs are available thru a number of sources(seems
they're made in New Zealand by a company that bought the old molds, and new
molds cost anywhere up to $200k) so you can get those and run the tubeless
tires in a lower profile set-up.  There is still the possibility, however
slight, that one could locate a master machinist who just happens to love
British Steel and would be willing to try to make just 4 hubs(provided you
hold him harmless) that would alloow those hot alloys to be directly mounted
to you axle hub.
     That's about it.... Thanks to all who responded and kept the train of
thought alive. Keep them on the road.  I can still dream.....
Tom