Carb problem solved!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb problem solved!
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:07:40 -0400 (EDT)
  For anyone following the trials and tribulations of my poorly/non-
  running MGB, I found the problem!  She now runs like the proverbial
  swiss time piece!   And there was much rejoicing!

  So, what was the culprit??  Make that culpritS; in the plural form.

  After methodically checking everything else, I narrowed the problem
  down to the carbs.  On Saturday, I removed the carbs and dissasembled
  them.  One of the problems was immediately apparent: the float level on
  the back carb was way, waaay out of spec.  Now how did *that* happen??

  ::blush::

  Since I had them apart, I checked and cleaned everything again- inside
  and out.  At Greg Grohoski's suggestion, I removed the Grose jets and
  inspected them carefully: the jet body has 6 small holes drilled
  near the top of the jet- one on each flat.  One of these drillings
  had a tiny swarf of brass still attatched, poking inside of the
  jet.  This prevented the ball from seating properly.

  I couldnt find the old standard needle/seat assembly, so I cleaned
  the jet up with a small drill bit, and reassemled it.  I set the heights
  according the the tuning section in the BACK of the Bentley book,
  reconnected everything, and it started right up.

  Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions!  Its good to B back!

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA