Re: Good Price for 1971 MGB?

To: Stephen Hildebrand <hildebra@dickinson.edu>
Subject: Re: Good Price for 1971 MGB?
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:21:51 -0400
Stephen Hildebrand wrote:

> Hello All...
>
> I've been lurking for a few months and finally find myself in a position
> where I may be able to change myself from a 'wanna-be' to a bonafide MG
> Owner.  I've come across a 1971 MGB for sale locally and it seems to be a
>good buy

> The body seems to be in good shape.  There are a few minor rust spots that
>could easily be taken care of.

Steve-

If the car is a solid as you say, I would tag it around $3000.
Obviously it would help to see the car.  My B needed alot more work!
The interior in my car included new seat covers, and carpets, and a used
dashboard in good condition.  I was able to salvage the interior kick
panels and door panels.  I would guestimate that a top quality job could
be had using readily available kits for around $1000 - you supply the
labor.  This would include leather seats, as original on a '71 I
believe.  Vinyl would be cheaper.

Check the condition of the sills (also known as rocker panels)closely.
This is the single most common area for hidden rust, and very critical
to the strength of the car.  I would recommend that you locate a copy of
"MGB, Restoration-Preparation-Maintenance" by Jim Tyler.  It has an
excellent on appraising the condition of MGB's.  RUST IS THE DEMON!
Most any problem on the B can be repaired fairly economically, but
advanced (and often hidden) structual rust is a killer.

Most importantly - if this car doesn't pan out keep after it.  It's a
great hobby, and a great car.

Regards,

Chris Delling