Re: K&N Air Filters

To: Mark Shone <shone@singnet.com.sg>
Subject: Re: K&N Air Filters
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:22:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Mark Shone wrote:

> My car is fitted with K&N air filters which look like they are in desperate
> need of cleaning.  Do I need to buy the special cleaning fluid and oil are
> there any alternatives? Someone has suggested I clean them in petrol. Also
> how often are they supposed to be cleaned?

My recollection is 50,000 miles between cleanings, unless you are in a
"high dust" environment (off road, beach area).

Cleaning them with the kit won't hurt them even if you do it more often.
I'd be leery of doing it with petrol as that could eat the substrate... I
think the stuff in the cleaning kit is detergent.

I haven't gotten to the point on any of the cars of needing to clean the
filters.  So far I think they're great, and if you go the recommended 50K
miles between cleanings, as cheap as paper filters.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Always do right. It will gratify some people
 and astonish the rest.        -Mark Twain"