Re: K&N Air Filters

To: Mark Shone <shone@singnet.com.sg>
Subject: Re: K&N Air Filters
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Mark Shone wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to the list and new to MGs, having only recently purchased my 1970
> MGB GT.
> My car is fitted with K&N air filters which look like they are in desperate
> need of cleaning.  Do I need to buy the special cleaning fluid and oil are
> there any alternatives? Someone has suggested I clean them in petrol. Also
> how often are they supposed to be cleaned?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Mark Shone    (MGB GT owner in Singapore)
> shone@singnet.com.sg

Yes, you should clean them.  Petrol might be a little aggressive.  Clean
them in your kitchen sink with soapy water.  Works great.  You can use the
tap pressure to force water through the filter to clean it through (from
the inside out, of course).  Don't
overdo this, as it might collapse the filter layers.  I would use K&N oil
in the way they recommend.  There is a fine balance between good filtering
and low restriction.  Using a wrong oil would certainly upset this balance
and void one of the two advantages of these great filters.

On my way to Singapore 28 hours from now.
What color is your car in case I see it?

                                                           '67 Sprite