Re: More fuel pump questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: More fuel pump questions...
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:08:19 -0500 (CDT)
Mark Jurras writes:
> No no no! The pump is not garbage. You just have to make sure that the
> points are properly adjusted and not burned. Many people have tried to
> put on some aftermarket pump to increase reliability. The SU pump is a
> low pressure pump. Many of the after market pumps are higher pressure.
> Using these can cause carb overflowing and other problems.

I wholeheartedly second that.  When I got my '74 three years ago, it had
an aftermarket pump that was the source of frequent headaches and
dangerous fuel leaks, and I wasn't yet familiar enough with the fuel
system to diagnose it.  After rebuilding carbs and flushing fuel lines,
I replaced the pump as a last resort, purchasing a brand-new SU pump
from Special Interest.

I have had zero problems in the three years since I did that, and I
drive the car sixty miles a day, five days a week, plus the odd
out-of-town weekend excursion.

Though I haven't opened the pump up (I haven't needed to), I suspect
that I got one of the "modernized" pumps, with the diode installed to
prevent points burning.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast