Re: Smog II -Reply

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Subject: Re: Smog II -Reply
From: Bill Harkins <wharkns@inetworld.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:42:43 -0700
At 04:27 PM 9/15/96 -0500, you wrote:

>While the credit system is unfair what gauls me is that a that a 1800
>car can fails the  inspection by being 10% over the limit , meanwhile a
>5 liter car passing  inspection wiith a 10% margin is still putting out
>over twice as much poison per mile as the failed car.
>This is a result of the using a standard which measures    percent of a
>cars exhaust rather than the total pollution output per mile. Sorta like
>measuring fuel consumption for all cars on the basis of miles per
>tankful.

Excellent point. The bureacrats in CA are attempting to remove 1 million
tons of particulate from the air (I don't know if that is per day, year or
decade). Obviously, a collector car (particularly one insured by JC Taylor
type specialty insurers), is probably not driven over 2500 miles a year. Yet
a car not considered a gross polluter driven daily to work 50 miles one-way
(common here in CA) is obviously a much more gross polluter than the
collector! The geniuses that are in our government haven't factored that
into their law yet.

Bill Harkins