brake lights

To: PVANDAL@aol.com
Subject: brake lights
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:12:06 -0400

<<  Does anyone know the reason why my brake lights do not work when my
lights
 > are turned on?   They work fine with the lights turned off.   Desparate in
 > need of assistance to clear Ct inspection.
 > Thanks in advance... >>

I suspect you have the fixture wired wrongly.  It sounds like the line to the
brake lights (white with purp/white with brn) are wired to the running light
(red) fixture position, so when the head lights are turned on, you are
actually turning on the brighter brake lights.  Conversly, when you hit the
brakes, you are illuminating the dimmer running light filament.  The ligths
are working, but with the bright brake fixture illuminated you can't see the
dimmer runing lights.  Betcha your directionals aren't so hot either.
 Solution:  pull the rear fixtures out and reverse the input wires.  John
Trifari  1955 Healey BN1/1980 MGB