RE: Engine Rebuild

To: "'Lane Rollins'" <laner@teleport.com>
Subject: RE: Engine Rebuild
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:54:39 -0700
Lane..

How goes the tranny woes?

I sucessfully pulled my engine this weekend, and it is all mounted up
on an engine stand ready to go.  Yahoo!

Did you like your machine shop?  Where did you go?  I need to find a
place locally which is familiar with B engines.

Also, I saw a 69 GT for sale locally - Red with wire wheels, and
a roadster parts car to boot for ~$4500..

Dave

(Locally is Vancouver, WA for others on the net.)

Lane Rollins wrote:
> I'm not sure that $4000 is unreasonable. It all depends on what is
> happening. Are you just freshing the engine or are you doing a quality
> rebuild? My machine shop bill was over $1600, and I don't think I was taken
> for any ride. New pistons, new cam, bored +.020, balanced, new oil pump,
> quality gasket sets, bearings. Why did I get some of this stuff from the
> machine shop? If I have a problem with any of the parts I can take it back
> to them, no finger pointing from one supplier to the next. The machine shop
> couldn't get new driver gears for the oil pump & distributor. If I remeber
> right those alone cost me over $200. I probably could have survived with
> the old parts, they were worn but usable, but I don't want to have to take
> the motor apart again anytime in the near future. Also why would you put
> worn gears against a brand new cam. If done right you should easly be able
> to get another 100,000 miles out of the motor without any work to the
> internals. The new motor in the B is great, 50lbs oils presure at a hot
> idle over 70 at speed, it doesn't leak any oil. Yes you heard me, none,
> nada, not a drop. I get a little out of the tranny, but that's coming
> around the drain plug, I was brain dead and didn't put any teflon on the
> plug. Bottom line if you plan on keeping the car for some time don't cheese
> on the rebuild. I was burned by a reground cam on my 1600 motor so I'm back
> to pulling it apart.
>
> Lane

dhall@vcd.hp.com
dlhall@pacifier.com