Soft plug blowout on MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Soft plug blowout on MGA
From: MarKap2032@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 19:24:45 -0500
On Sat.,  JBlack2881@aol.com,  asked about leaking and blown soft plugs (also
called core plugs or whelch plugs) in an MGA.  I had a similar experience
last summer when a soft plug blew out of the distributer side of my MGA 1500
with about 3000 miles on a totally rebuilt engine.   Had to get a flatbed
ride home and it ruined most of a Sunday afternoon.  I was accelerating above
65 mph on an interstate roadway when the plug blew.   Luckily the plug in the
side of the engine is sort
of accessible so I was able to replace it without pulling the engine.  The
trick is to make sure the hole into the water jacket is absolutely clean;
 especially the little lip that the new metal plug sits against.  I coated
the lip of the hole in the block with a silicone sealer (blue type) and then
pressed the metal soft plug in place.  Now the trick is to hit it in the
center of the plug to flatten out the "dish shape" and seal the plug in
place.  I used a brass drift and a standard hammer and a prayer.   I've put
about 1500 miles on the car since then with no problem.
Don't have a CLUE why these plugs will suddenly blow with no
warning in an almost new engine.  Corrosion or weakening of the plug is not a
factor here.   In old engines you often get corrosion leaks but the entire
plug rarely blows out.....Any thoughts out there?