Re: brake drag

To: glen@pegasus.unm.edu
Subject: Re: brake drag
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:44:18 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 glen@pegasus.unm.edu wrote:

> my finger against them both. so the shoes are definately dragging. i
> double checked the positioning of the springs. they seem ok. also, when i
> adjust the brakes, i turn the adjuster until the drum will not move, then
> i back it off two flats so the drum will turn with just a wee bit of
> drag. and no, the inside of the drum shows no sign of deep grooves or
> gouging. any ideas on this? what am i missing? should i back the adjuster

>       any thoughts or suggestions please give me a holler. thanx.

I would start by disassembling the equalizer on the parking brake and
making sure it is not frozen.  If it is sticky, it may not release all
tension on the side that is dragging.  While you are there, dissemble and
lube all other connections on the parking brakes and the cable itself.

If that doesn't do it, I would replace the brake springs.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910