Re: brake drag

To: glen@pegasus.unm.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake drag
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 03:53:59 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-04 16:31:27 EST, glen@pegasus.unm.edu writes:

<< .....  by the way, why do the replacement wheel cylinders come with
different circlips that are nearly impossible to get on compared with the
older ones where you could use circlip pliers? >>

Just cheap, no other reason.  Personally I'd pay extra for the correct
retaining ring, but I guess the world doesn't work that way.

<< ..... after i have beedn driving for a while that this drum does get much
hotter than the other just by putting my finger against them both. so the
shoes are definately dragging. ..... what am i missing? >>

Most likely the brake hose at that wheel is clogged internally preventing the
flow of fluid back to the master cylinder.  There is usually no outward
visual indication of this problen, just dragging brakes.  Remove the hose and
try to blow through it.  No go?  Replace the hose.

<<      i'm also getting a high pitched squeel coming from my left front wheel.
it seems to come and go with bumps in the road and which way i am turning the
wheels. i fear this is probably the wheel bearings. >>

Bad wheel bearings will usually get very hot while running, like maybe hot
enough to burn your hand on the hub.  Remove the brake drum and spin the hub
by hand.  It should run pretty quiet and very smooth, and there should be
very little or no loosness in the bearings.

Do not leave either of these problems unattended.  We like to keep people on
this list.

Barney Gaylord -- 1968 MGA