RE: MGB Camshaft Questions and brake realizations

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Camshaft Questions and brake realizations
From: Nick Pitt <nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 96 14:05:00 PST
(you sent)
        So, I measured the lobes on both the new and old cams to see if they
were the same (Hey, it's SOMETHING!).  Well, unless I measured wrong
(Possible, I'm going to go take the measurements on the old cam again
tomorrow with a more familiar micrometer) I got a lobe height of about 1.38"
on all the lobes of the old cam, and 1.32" on the new cam.  Unfortunately
the stats in the manuals don't give me lobe heights.  The closest thing I
could find was valve lift.  Does anybody ever actually measure cam lobe
height?  Do any of these numbers sound familiar? Does Anybody know how to go
from valve lift to cam lobe height, or is it not that simple?

Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit

How did you measure lobe heights? Bear in mind that it is cam shape that
 matters not absolute sizes. If you think about it, how else could a cam be
reprofiled without adding material? ( I am assured that this is not how it
is done). So measuring the largest dimension of the cam lobe will not give a
measure of valve lift or times. As for how the original cam dimensions are
arrived at perhaps someone else can fill us in.

          Nick ('73 B Roadster)