RE: alternator woes

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>, "'MGList'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: alternator woes
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:35:40 -0800
I had my alternator go out when bringing my car home from
Northern CA to Vancouver, Washington.  See my web page
for the complete story, but as for the alternator...

I took it to a local starter/alternator shop and had them
rebuild it.  I didn't order a pre-rebuilt one.  They had
a bench where they could test the rebuild, and guaranteed
it for 5 years..  So far, no problems yet!

Dave

Larry Hoy wrote:
> Message text written by Allen Williams
> >I need some ideas on tracking down the cause of failures in 3 Lucas
> alternators in the past 2 months on my '74 B. No wiring mods, evidence
> of shorts, or loose connections. The first one died on the way to a car
> show. I bought a rebuilt one, drove home(275 miles) and it died. Sent it
> back, got another. It worked for a few weeks (drove about 100 miles) and
> it quit! All three times the indicator light circuit went out. The
> alternator definitely does not charge, but you don't know it until you
> switch on the ignition and the idiot light doesn't come on.  Anyone out
> there ever have a problem like this?
> <
>
> Allen,
>
> I had the same problem, went through 2 alternators (the third is on the car
>now)
> in 1000 miles.  I would hope that this is the last one!  They were Lucas
> alternators that were rebuilt, I bought them from the local parts store
>(Checker
> Automotive).  The indicator light never came on.  I only knew the problem
> existed when my car would not start.  The parts store was good about replacing
> them but of course I would rather have had a good one the first time!  I can
> only assume that the alternator was at fault?  Everything else on my car seems
> to be functioning correctly.  If anyone else has any pearls of wisdom I would
>be
> interested.
>
> Larry
> 1969 MGB