Dan Hughes Day

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dan Hughes Day
From: Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@amt.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:25:03 -0800
OK, my DHD observance is not LBC related, but so fantastically stupid, that
it's worth posting.

I was trying to get to the freeze plug on the back of the head on my Jeep.
(3.8 straight 6. Yes, there really is a freeze plug on the head.)

I got the bright idea to disconnect the driveshaft and lower the rear of
the (automatic) transmission to get a little more clearance between the
firewall and the head. This turned out to be fruitless, but it set the
stage for disaster.

The other key piece of information is that the parking brake on the Jeep
has never been worth much.

So I'm working on the car in the driveway, which slopes toward the street...

The Jeep is high enough that I didn't have to lift it. It was sitting on
it's wheels.  I was halfway under the Jeep when I disconnected the
driveshaft, and discovered (very rapidly) that the beast was being held by
the (now disconnected) transmission, NOT the parking brake.

Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to grab the frame, so I was
dragged, not run over.

Needless to say, I now block ANY vehicle I'm working on, even if I'm not
lifting it.

-Zandr

Aleksandr Milewski                                              N6MOD
n6mod@amt.org                               http://www.amt.org/n6mod/