Re: Water Pumps

To: rwg1@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Water Pumps
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 03:23:06 EST
On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:51:16 -500 "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
writes:

>I thought this would have been sorted by now-
>
>The MGB 5 main and 3 main water pumps are NOT interchangeable- the
differences in castings will not allow them to be mounted. I learned this
about 5 years  back when the 3 main pump was discontinued, and
un-available for a time. I had 2 different suppliers ship a 5 main pump
instead of 3 main. Then someone started reproducing the 3 main style
again, thank goodness- they got very expensive for a few months!

OK, so just exactly what does prevent the 5-main pump from being mounted
to a 3-main engine?  Other reports say it does bolt up the engine block,
just extends to far forward towards the radiator and misplaces the
pulley, then go on to tell how to make it fit by shimming the radiator,
cutting back the pump front hub, and/or changing the pulley.  I'm getting
a lot of conflicting reports.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA