RE: Suppliers ?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Suppliers ?
From: George Merryweather <merryweather@venus.connectware.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:44:04 -0600
I have had occasion to deal with them.  I believe they are in the =
'Frozen North' part of the country.  I have purchased reground =
crankshafts for MGA's from them.  I believe they used to be an MG =
dealer.  They still are a Jag dealer. As a result of these affiliations, =
the continue to have access to part sources in the US and GB.  Prices =
are on par with the rest of the pack in Tier 2.  As mentioned, they do =
have some hard to find parts, sometimes.  They are also a good resource =
to point you to a source for something you are looking for.  Staff is =
friendly and knowledgeable.

 I will attempt to explain what I mean by Tier 2.  I put suppliers in =
multiple tiers, (I may get myself in trouble here, so let me state-) =
IMHO.

(Also, if I left anybody out, it was not intentional, just old age and a =
weak mind.)=20

Put Moss, VB, TRF, Scarborough Faire(?), B&G, Phoenix/The Proper MG, =
etc., in the Tier 1.  Big suppliers who sell a lot of parts, typically =
new ones, a minimum of rebuilt/used, and don't perform service(s).  They =
sell to everybody, even each other.  (Ever buy a radiator hose from VB =
that has the Moss number on it?)

Tier 2 - The bulk of the rest.  These folks, and most of them are on =
this list so I won't mention Shop names so as not to slight anybody, =
sell parts, new and used, rebuilt and not, retail, and wholesale, AND =
perform restorations and service.  These are the people that have the =
vast amount of Technical Expertise, 'cuz they've 'been there, done =
that'.  The shop probably at the top would be John Twist/University =
Motors.

Tier 3 - These are the Bubba's Foreign Car and Parts Shops.    They will =
service anything that comes in the door.  I don't mean that as a =
negative.  These are the guys that get us to work each day!  But from a =
Classic British point of view, they may have worked on MG's years ago, =
and still will, and they know where there is an ol' B parked for parts.  =
They buy their parts from Tier 1, maybe 2, and their standard stuff from =
Unipart/BAP-GEON, etc.

(Where would Todd Clarke fit?  He definitely knows his stuff, like J. =
Twist, but I don't believe he restores cars, he obtains and/or =
manufactures parts that aren't available elsewhere.  I don't know of a =
Tier 1 that doesn't buy from him, so I guess that qualifies him for that =
group)

So where was I going with this?  Just that I would put Engle at the =
middle/lower part of Tier 2, with knowledge of a lot of the other tier 2 =
shops, and no fear to point you to one of them.

I think this is one of the unique differences between Tier 2 and the =
others.  The guys in Tier 2 love their business, and love LBC's (at =
least most of the time!).  They are willing to share ideas and resources =
with others, and aren't afraid to tell a customer if they don't have =
something, and where you might find it.  The Tier 1 folks will tell you =
they don't have it, and be done with you.  The Tier 3 guys will keep =
your car while they are looking for it.=20

I realize this is an oversimplification, and there are exceptions, so =
just consider this food for thought.

It must be this cold weather that is blowing through Texas that won't =
allow me to reply with a simple answer.

George Merryweather
merryweather@connectware.com