Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 11:33:49 -0500
> I don't think you would be wrong to install extra ventilation as a
> general rule.  But I would include a door or something to allow you to
> shut it off.  If you bring a wet or snowy car into a garage, extra
> ventilation should help keep the humidity from rising, help dry the
> floor, etc., all good stuff.
>
> I think the one situation that would be the exception is the one you
> experienced--the garage floor, walls, and everything in the garage were
> cold and the weather suddenly warmed up and became humid.  About the only
> thing you can do is try to warm up the car, walls, and floor as fast as
> possible to prevent water condensing on the cold surfaces or dry out the
> air.  Letting more air in only replenishes the humid air inside, so
> ventilation won't help much.  I was probably wrong about fans--if you blow
> a fan at the car, it might speed the warming of the car and help.  If you
> use the fan to exhaust air from the garage, it probably won't do any good,
> because more humid air just comes in.
>
> The best solutions for that particular climatic glitch, I think, are
> shutting up the garage and running a dehumidifier until the car and
> garage are dry, or warming up the car and garage so they don't condense
> water out of the humid air.
>
> Ray
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Friends:

Personal recommendation: install a nice little wood stove in the shop
and run it on a regular basis. Adds ventilation :) dries things out
better than any dehumidifier I've ever seen ;) and gives you the added
benefit of having something other than your lbc to curse once in a while
};) Oh, and if you're very lucky, it will warm the shop, also. This is
not guaranteed, however.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'