Re: S.U.s or Webers

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: S.U.s or Webers
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:25:57 -0500 (EST)
At 12:55 PM 1/19/97 EST, Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:
>Dave -
>
>True enough the SU look better and perform better.  In my case, however,
>they were far from practical.  With frequent fluctuations in
>temperatures, the SU's were impossible to keep in tune.
>
>Case in point:  When I drove back home for Christmas, I had the top down
>at 11 pm.  The temperature was a balmy 68 degrees.  When I left 2 days
>later, the temp had nose-dived into the 30's.  When I got on the highway,
>I had to pull out the choke to keep the mixture rich enough to go 65mph
>(of course I stopped and fixed he problem at the next exit...).
>
>Perhaps the Weber won't let me down.  Even if I never have to touch it, I
>still have plenty left to work on to keep the "grease under the
>fingernail" look.
>
>Thomas James Pokrefke, III
>1970 MGB  (relax all...the wire wheels stayed silver)
>thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
>http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke
>
>p.s. --  FWIW - I have the SU's in a box in the trunk in case of Weber
>failure

I'm confused?  The SU's on my 74B have not been touched in three years (save
topping up the dampers) and my car starts regardless of the weather, I have
never had a problem running at 65mph either! OK before I get flamed for not
doing anything to the carbs in three years, that is one thing that I see no
reason to touch if all is working OK.

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.