Re: S.U.s or Webers

To: Thomas J Pokrefke <thomas_pokrefke@juno.com>
Subject: Re: S.U.s or Webers
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 21:45:19 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:

> they were far from practical.  With frequent fluctuations in
> temperatures, the SU's were impossible to keep in tune.
>
> Case in point:  When I drove back home for Christmas, I had the top down
> at 11 pm.  The temperature was a balmy 68 degrees.  When I left 2 days
> later, the temp had nose-dived into the 30's.  When I got on the highway,
> I had to pull out the choke to keep the mixture rich enough to go 65mph
> (of course I stopped and fixed he problem at the next exit...).

A likely explanation is that the engine was simply running cooler than the
temp the carbs were adjusted at.  Put in a 180 or 190 thermostat, and
maybe a bit of cardboard over part of the radiator to coax the engine to
the proper temp.  If I'm right, changing carbs won't help much.

WRG

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910