TD grease fitting

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TD grease fitting
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:21:50 -0500
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions on installing a grease
fitting on the pedal shaft.

After receiving several 'suggestions' from Moss and Abingdon Spares as
to the size tap I need to ream out the existing threaded hole, I ended
up using the 8X1 tap from Abingdon that I previously used to tap the
hole on the windscreen for the chrome wing nut. It seems the holes are
the same...at least on my 52 TD and I presume they may be so on most
others as well.

I was told to use a 1/8" pipe tap, but that was much to big. At long
last I put grease into the fitting after cleaning out the hole with WD
40 and a cotton swab to remove the metal filings.

It took several weeks of research, acquiring parts and finally taking
care of the procedure. I might suggest that TD owners look for that
fitting as it seems many cars just don't have them inserted. They may be
missing as mine was.

Now to go for a drive. Do I need an excuse?

Steve
52 TD