Re: TD grease fitting

To: curtis@hayburn.com
Subject: Re: TD grease fitting
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:48:08 -0500
Ed & Kris Curtis wrote:

> Steve Tritle wrote:
> >

> > Now to go for a drive. Do I need an excuse?
> >
> > Steve
> > 52 TD
>
> Steve:
>
> Congrates on getting a grease fitting on the pedal shaft.  I guess that
> the question needs to be asked - Did you clean out all of the solid goop
> > When I replaced my pedal shaft, I tried to reuse the old shaft.  In
> cleaning it up to determine the real condition of the shaft, I was
> amazed how much hard junk was in the interior of the shaft.  And that
> was in a shaft that had a greas fitting in place.  What kind of dirt and
> grime might you have had in your shaft which was open to the road?
>
> Ed Curtis
> curtis@hayburn.com
> TF1500
Ed,

I couldn't see any 'goop' in there. I poked around with elongated swabs
after having sprayed WD 40 into the shaft. I trust I got everything out.
There was almost nothing in the shaft. The shaft hole didn't seem too
large. I then pumped in new grease.

I never drove the car on muddy or dirty roads. Hope I got all of the
gunk out. Because of the precarious position of the opening I could see
very little with my trouble light. It took 6 or 7 pumps of the grease
gun for the shaft to fill.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
52 TD