Re: Thanks and more questions

To: FOURoFOUR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Thanks and more questions
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@iwi.chico.joshuanet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:56:18 -0800
Howdy!

I have repaired several B floors and sills on my cars over the years.  I
currently have a '69 B waiting (patiently) for a sill repair.

I have removed the sill with the use of a plasma cutter which is an
ideal tool for this project (as in no sheetmetal distortion)!  Another
tool that is OK is a spot weld cutter that attaches to your air/electric
drill, sold by The Eastwood Company (eastwoodco.com).

MIG welders are the only way to go.  I have a 110 volt Hobart Handler,
running with CO2/argon gas.  I'm not the greatest welder but I find this
to be a great machine and very forgiving!  Before welding in panels, I
find that pop riveting some portions of the panels help in keeping this
aligned correctly.  I find that the process of replacing these panels
gives new life to our Bs and is a very satisfying experience pverall!

I have recovered a '64 B body shell that I gave to an exporter about 6
months ago.  It has rusty floors and sills, worst I have ever seen here
in CA.  He decided to crush it unless I came back for it...so of course
the emotions took over here!  As I look at it now, it is still in really
good shape and I will endeavour to invest some cash and labour to keep a
bit of history on the road!

Good Luck,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components