Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:35:58 -0600 (CST)
At 08:37 AM 2/2/97 -0800, pbailey wrote:

[snip]

>batteries)The solution to all the people driving around with "gross
>polluters"would be to get these cars tuned up on a yearly basis This
>could be accomplished with perhaps a gas tax of 5 cents a gallon when
>it's time for to renew your tags you take your car in for a FREE tuneup.
>This way all the cars would be running as effiencently as possible it
>would take the burden off the poorer people who are cheating to get by
>smog now.I may be full of hot air but I think if all the cars out there
>are just tuned up it would prevent a lot of pollution.I also am
>seeing(call me paranoid)a trend to "get people out of their cars"IF you

[snip]

Call you paranoid?! I invented the word when it comes to the "state" getting
involved in personal affairs!!

OTOH, if the bureaucracy should implement such a tax for such a purpose,
I'll be first in line to take a "tune-up" class, apply for "preference" by
the state (being a minority and all that) and I will set out to get rich
real quick-like!!

You have a good idea,  Pat, but IMO it's a license to steal for unscrupulous
mechanics. Texas' inspection used to include "properly adjusted headlights."
It was amazing that every time I took my cars in the lights "needed
adjustment" at $3.50 per light! Now they have to settle for replacement
windshield wipers, and NEVER have just the blade inserts to fit the car.
They want to replace the blade holder as well...

Can you imagine what all would be "required" for a tune-up?! New carb, new
this, new that, etc. The legislators "could" limit what repairs could be
made on the mandatory tune-up, but I shudder to think how they would cobble
that up! I doubt if they even wash their own cars...

>of the world still envies and the fact that owning and driving one here
>is so cheap compared to the rest of the world means that even the people
>on the bottom can have this freedom but the clouds are looming on the
>horizon and I don't want to live in a country where I can't go where and
>when I damn well please...Pat

Here, I agree wholeheartedly. The Power Elite in San Antonio still "don't
get it" when they try to come up with ways to force people to use mass
transit. This ain't New York City! We're all sprawled out everywhere here,
and the "Henry Cisneros Memorial Bus System" just doesn't cut it!

And I didn't drive the MGA yesterday. (Mandatory LBC content!)

Carol