Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:52:23 -0500
> From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>

> Mark,
>     I appreciate the copper losses coming from the station to my
> house, and the fact that the power plant produces pollution, but I
> still maintain that the conversion of fuel to electricity in a power
> plant is MUCH, MUCH more efficient than conversion in an I/C engine.

I agree with all your points and I would love to drive an electric car
on my 30 mile per day commute. I don't think the batteries would last
that long on those below zero days if I want heat though.

My point was that "Zero" emmisions is a misnomer they just move the
emmissions back to the power plant and that there are more losses to be
considered. I am still not sure that the emmissions would be reduced
all that much though. I live in CT where the local utility Board of
Directors let our three nuke plants deteriorate so badly that they are
shut down by the NRC, for years of numerous safety violations. So I
wonder if they really are complying with the EPA stuff too.

> constantly cycles from idle to about two-thirds of max power as the
> car accelerates, decelerates, and sits idling.

In my case: constantly cycles from idle to max power.

Mark "I've got a 95HP 3800 lb car" Jurras