Inside the Octagon

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Inside the Octagon
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 13:40:11 -0500
I had picked up this tape from Britbooks some time ago, but never had an
evening to watch it. It was great.

I know I have been a nut on this list trying to get people to learn about
MG history. I think this marque is one of the greatest because of its
history. I know many of you like to work on the cars or just drive them,
and can't be bothered reading a history of the origins of MG.

With this tape, you don't have to read a book. It is about two hours, but
it really hits the high points with the MG greats, shows you old newsreels
when MG was the world record setter, and has some great films of MG factory
production in the 30's.

Many of the threads on this list go into the facets of the new MGF, the
effect of legislation and regulation, the good and bad of our lbc's versus
modern sports cars.After watching this film and the remarkable achievements
of this tiny, and I mean tiny manufacturer, who turned out 6 new models in
one year, you can't help but reflect how different our time is from theirs.
Even in 1954, MG produced the TF from the TD in a matter of weeks. Between
1931 and 1935, MG was on the cutting edge of automobile innovation, with
new models every few months based on the cars they were producing for
racing. Sadly, this era can never be repeated.

 In 1935, the independence of Kimber and his small group of geniuses was
stopped just as they were developing the R type, a completely independent
suspension car with overhead cam engine. The MG Company was sold to the
Nuffield group, and the bean counters began to regulate the company instead
of the enthusiast., they were interested in profit instead of fun and
innovation.

Well, get this tape, even if you love midgets and MGBs, you and your cars
will be enriched by the knowledge, and you will be more proud then ever of
that badge on the grill. ( I have no connection to the tape or the vendors)

Mike Leckstein