Re: MGB brake failure

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, Adam Harmon <cyberman@mail.bright.net>
Subject: Re: MGB brake failure
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 21:21:33 -0500
Adam Harmon wrote:

>         i was wondering if anyone else had experienced brake failure for
> storing an mgb for extended period of time.  Im not having any visible fluid
> leak, but i am loosing brake fluid.  I belive the master cylinder is at
> fault, but am not sure.  if i am losing fluid from the master cylinder,
> would it be draining into the booster chamber?  if so, would i also need, on
> top of a master cylinder rebuild kit, a Non-Return Valve? (sits just inside
> the booster chamber)
> Feels free to e-mail me at cyberman@bright.net

This sounds verrry familiar.  Last Spring, I went to start the '67 B and even
though I
had plenty of cranking amps, no start.  I felt a tune up was in order, and
after
completing that pleasant job, she cranked right up.  I hopped into the cockpit,
top
down, and bolted out of the garage and down the drive.  As I approached the end
of the
drive I applied the brakes and guess what?  Correcto-mundo! Brake pedal to the
metal!
I'm glad the handbrake worked because there's a cliff on the opposite side of
the road
from my driveway.  After gingerly taking her back up the drive and into the
garage, I
spent about two hours analysing the problem.  I traced it to a faulty left rear
brake
cylinder, where the fluid had leaked out, ruined the shoe and semi-evaporated
on the
garage floor.  I've kept a close eye on her this past winter and haven't had a
recurrance.  The Master was fine in the last episode.  I hope it's still that
way this
spring.  By the way,  Rear brake jobs are not at the top of my list of repairs.

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB
'70 MGB