Re: Repro plastic dash cover

To: cyberman@mail.bright.net
Subject: Re: Repro plastic dash cover
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 10:00:39 EST
On Sun, 9 Feb 1997 00:51:21 -0500 (EST) Adam Harmon
<cyberman@mail.bright.net> writes:
>         I have the plastic dash cover that is purchased aftermarket.
>Can
>anyone tell me how to successfully glue this sucker down?  I got the
>mg from my father, and i cant seem to find an epoxy that will hold it to
the
>heavily sun-damaged dash board.  If anyone has success in installing
this,
>please let me know what product you have used, and how you got the
>replacement dash to stay in place while it dried?  thanks all, Adam.

Two in one day.....

you need to coarse sand both the dash top and the inside of the cap- they
must be clean , also dry fit the thing as you may need to trim it
slightly here and there.
Any silicone based adhesive - even "gasket goo" should do it.
holding it in place whilst drying is not easy - I can only relate what I
have done which seems to work.
For lateral pressure, a length of timber wedged with broomsticks or
similar from the rear fire wall between the seats. for downward pressure,
rolled rubber mats jammes between the windscreen and the cap seem to do
the trick! - leave for 24 hours or so.
Its one of those satisfying jobs you can do in an afternoon and well
worth the effort.

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT