Repro plastic dash cover

To: Adam Harmon <cyberman@mail.bright.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Repro plastic dash cover
From: Norm Cannon <ncannon@cvn.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 08:39:24 +0000
At 12:51 AM 2/9/97 -0500, Adam Harmon wrote:
>I have the plastic dash cover that is purchased aftermarket.  Can
>anyone tell me how to successfully glue this sucker down?  I got the mg from
>my father, and i cant seem to find an epoxy that will hold it to the heavily
>sun-damaged dash board.  If anyone has success in installing this, please let
>me know what product you have used, and how you got the replacement dash to
>stay in place while it dried?  thanks all, Adam.

Adam,

        Just finished the dash on my 1975 MG Midget.  The dash cover came with
a tube of General Electric RTV Silicone Auto Seal.  First make sure new
dash cap fits properly...mine did. Instructions had me soak the tube of
seal in hot water to soften and make it flow easier.  Trim high spots.
Clean both the old dash and the underside of the new dash cap with
rubbing alcohol.  Rough up both surfaces where adhesive will be placed.
Apply a bead (about the size of a pencil) of adhesive around perimeter
(about 1/2" from each edge) of air vents and outer edge of the new dash
cap.  Place the dash cap over the original dash.  Press carefully and
evenly to seat cap.  Use rolls of paper, cardboard wedges, elastic cords
and weights to hold the cap in place.  Wait at least 4 hours for the
adhesive to set and cure.  Unclamp and clean, adhesive pulls away.
        My dash was first removed from the car with no accessories attached.
Elastic cords were wrapped around the new cap and original dash with
rolls of papertowels used as wedges. (I had to move very slowly to apply
the pencil sized bead.) It looks brand new.

Norm Cannon
'62 MG Midget
'75 MG Midget
Chambersburg, PA