Re: Repro plastic dash cover

To: Adam Harmon <cyberman@mail.bright.net>
Subject: Re: Repro plastic dash cover
From: Sally Schlining <schlining.m.w@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 18:53:58 -0600
Adam Harmon wrote:

>          I have the plastic dash cover that is purchased aftermarket.  Can
> anyone tell me how to successfully glue this sucker down?  I got the mg from
> my father, and i cant seem to find an epoxy that will hold it to the heavily
> sun-damaged dash board.  If anyone has success in installing this, please
> let me know what product you have used, and how you got the replacement dash
> to stay in place while it dried?  thanks all, Adam.

Hi Adam

Marty and I put the replacement dash on our 75 B two years ago - almost
divorce time.  My first suggestion --  Make sure it is the right one to
fit your car.  Moss had sent the wrong one to us the first time.  It
thought I would lose my mind trying to fit the thing.  The bump out of
the one that was sent first was in the wrong place.  Once you are
assured the right dash cover was sent to you, THROW OUT THE "CLEAR"
SILICONE ADHESIVE THEY SENT YOU WITH THE DASH COVER.  Then go get the
same stuff in black.

The reason for this is that if any of the clear leaches out of the front
of the dash cover (from shifting it to fit in, or too much on near the
edge, or application too close to the edge) it will always and forever
look like translucent blue silicone. The stuff is nearly impossible to
trim off and if it is close to the windscreen, you will never be able to
reach it, but you will see it every time you walk up to the car.

Then make sure you clamp, stuff, wedge, whatever you have to do to get
        a. the top of the dash cover as flat and flush to that little
edge by the windscreen as you can.
        b. The rolled edge attached to the underside of the rolled edge
of the original dash as you can (We still have to squeeze the dash cap a
little to open the glove box.

        I used woodworking spring loaded clamps for the back edge.  I
was told the papertowel rolls or toilet paper rolls would work for the
front edge using the windscreen to wedge them, but I don't think I had
enough.  And I used a few boards wedged from the seat back to hold the
whole thing towards the front of the car.  It kept trying to work its
way off the dash. (of course, I had a "back seat driver" giving me his
helpful engineer-type "help")

        You have more time than you think to work with the stuff, but
leave it in place at least 24 hours.  (oh, the tip about warming it up
in very warm water.  Don't rush this.  It will not flow it you do.  You
will really want that stuff to be able to squeeze out of the tube in a
smooth flow and it is very thick if you don't warm it up properly)

Good luck.

Sally Schlining
57 MGA
65 Corvair Corsa