Re: Windscreen Refurbishment

To: MICHAEL J ROBSON <miker15@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Windscreen Refurbishment
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@srv1.ic.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 07:50:16 -0500
MICHAEL J ROBSON wrote:

> Well, I took the plunge today and took the 72 for safety inspection in
> Darien CT
> (pronounced through clenched teeth to denote its upper-crust image)
> Guess what.......it failed...
> Not for anything important, it passed brakes/lights/steering/body
> integrity etc.
>
> It failed because THERE'S A BLOODY SCRATCH ON THE WINDSCREEN!!
>
> Now, I have in my garage a brand new windscreen complete with rubber to
> fit which is intended to go in the car one of these fine days. I have
> however done this job before and have absolutely NO intention of doing it
> again myself!
> Somebody gave me a name of a shop in NJ that will do it but i need more
> time than i have to get there (likely a spring job)
> Somebody told me today that there is a method available that can "polish
> out" scratches on windscreens.This is the first i have heard of this and
> wondered if anyone knows if it is worth the effort or has any experience
> of it. I have 30 days to get the job done so if this is feasible it is
> far preferable to a jaunt to central jersey which is
> a)a long way away
> b)only approachable by interstates
> c)sucks! (my apologies to anyone offended but i lived there once!)
>
> mike robson
> 69 roadster
> 70 BGT (going for safety next week!)
> 72 roadster

Mike-

Eastwood offers a kit for polishing glass.  According to their blurb, a
test to see if it will work is to see if your fingernail will catch in
the scratch.  If so, the scratch is too big for a polish kit.  I haven't
attempted this myself, so I can't comment on it's effectivness.

Regards,

Chris Delling