Re: Windscreen Refurbishment

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: Windscreen Refurbishment
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:02:25 -0800
>Somebody told me today that there is a method available that can "polish
>out" scratches on windscreens.This is the first i have heard of this and
>wondered if anyone knows if it is worth the effort or has any experience
>of it. I have 30 days to get the job done so if this is feasible it is
>far preferable to a jaunt to central jersey which is

I've never done it, but I know some who have.  Time and work.  However, you
failed
to mention a description of the scratch itself.  That's important.  If it's
some god
awfull cut glass thing, you aint going to polish it out.  You might grind it
out
though.  However, that leaves you a dip in the windshield, which isn't a great
thing
either.

A trick for minor scratches is wax.  Pledge used to be my favorite, but I've
become
partial to Jubalie kitchen appliance polish.  Learned this with motorcycles and
their plexiglass windscreens and face shields.  Polish like you've got a nice
kitchen table, and much of the scratch gets filled in with the was, becoming
transparent.  If you've got star wars effects at night because of a 100
thousand
little scratches, it takes care of most of them as well.

Course, the wipers hate this.  Not a problem with motorcycles, but with cars...