RE: Parts Suppliers

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>, "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: Parts Suppliers
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 00:32:12 -0500
At 06:07 PM 3/1/97 UT, doug russell wrote:
>About 4 years ago I ordered a grille for my 69 C GT from them when
advertised
>for $40 less than available elsewhere.. Pleasant enough experience but I
have
>not ordered from them since.  I usually try to deal with people I have
gotten
>to know and feel comfortable with.  Mostly for the reasons some have
mentioned
>- poor service, incorrect orders and my favorite - the never ending
backorder.

>I wrote a note a few days ago about 2 that I thought provided great service
>and were competitive - Dave from Sports Car Service in VT (802) 387 4540 and
>Bromsgrove MG Centre (UK) 011 44 527 879909.
>
>Dr. Doug
>69 C Rd
>> ..... There is a company operating out of Rhode Island called
>Scarborough Faire, not sure if they are still in business but if they are
>I would avoid them like the plague

>>Sorry for the long vent, does anybody else know much about this company?
>I have never delt with SC by mail, but have met the owner at many a flee
market. She is quite nice, and often has excellent bargins. She appears
very disorganized and that may account for mail order troubles.

I have a great story about SC. About ten years ago I won a certificate at a
GOF for a set of chrome knockoffs. They were donated by SC. For some
reason, I didn't redeem the certificate. When I saw the lady the next year
at a flee market, it reminded me of the certificate, but at the time  she
was out of stock.

Over the years, I would forget about it, and I eventually lost the
certificate. This past year at Carlisle Import, I saw her, and she came up
to me to let me know she had a new supply of knockoffs. I informed her
about the lost certificate, and she said never mind and gave me a set of
four. I thought that was nice. She remembered, and offered the set with no
hesitation.

I have no problem with the French also, so I must be the exception.

Mike